JOB TITLE: Independent Living Specialist (HCBS Certified Peer)
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living of the Genesee Region (ILGR)
LOCATION: Batavia, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, ILGR
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. Assist in the personal adjustment of an individual’s disability and maximize community participation. Provide peer counseling individually or in a group setting.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs. Assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits such as vocational rehabilitation, Social Services, Medicare and other applicable government programs.
- Provide pre-vocational training to persons with disabilities.
- Provide peer counseling to persons with disabilities, their family members and advocates for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives and values.
- Intervene, at the request of the individual, in crisis situations with agencies and services programs.
- Identify housing options to enable individuals to compare a variety of living arrangements. Provide other assistance necessary to help individual’s secure suitable living arrangements.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in Western NY Independent Living’s (WNYIL’s) Database for Electronic Health Records within 24 hours of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Within three (3) months of being hired, must be certified as a NYS Certified Peer Specialist/Provisional.
- Must have received New York Care Coordination Person Centered Planning training.
- Education and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in vocational services, disabilities services, business, personnel management, mental health or social services counseling needed.
High school diploma or equivalent
Associate degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology or related human services field
Bachelor’s degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology or related human services field.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
High school diploma or equivalent requires four (4) years’ related work experience with people with serious mental illness/substance use disorders.
Associate degree requires two (2) years’ related work experience.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
- Must be able to travel independently throughout the three (3) County service regions (Orleans, Genesee and Wyoming).
- Must have basic level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- A desire to advocate for the rights of others is essential.
- Residents of Genesee Region encouraged to apply.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: Various hours
Overtime never required.
CLASSIFICATION: Part time: Fee for Service Professional staff.
Range: $25.00 per hour
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: December 2, 2021
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214