JOB TITLE: Independent Living Employment Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center (ILC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Independent Living Services (ILS)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
This position will coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. To assist in the personal adjustment of an individual’s disability and maximize community participation.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits, such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills, counseling and training.
- Provide Pre-Employment Transition Services (pre-ETS) to young people with disabilities.
- Provide Career Assessment, Employment Preparation, Job Placement and Supported Employment Services.
- Produce timely services and associated paperwork for the purposes of billing Acces-VR for Core Rehabilitative Services (CRS).
- Coordinate with Acces-VR Counselors and maintain a satisfactory rating.
- Maintain the required credentials and access to the New York State Employment Service System (NYESS).
- Assist individuals in accessing the Ticket to Work program.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Preferred Acces-VR Evaluator 2, Evaluator II Minimum qualifications: Master’s degree in vocational rehabilitation or related area such personnel, counseling, guidance and one (1) year of experience in vocational rehabilitation or other suitable fields
Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of experience in service delivery to individuals with disabilities.
Five (5) years’ experience as an evaluator in a community rehabilitation program and completion of specialized rehabilitation-related courses. Must meet a minimum of Acces-VR Evaluator 1: Master’s degree in vocational rehabilitation counseling or related area such as personnel, counseling and guidance
Bachelor’s degree and enrollment in a Master’s degree program in vocational rehabilitation or related area such as personnel, counseling and guidance
Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years’ experience providing vocational assessment services
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Within the first twelve (12) month of employment, the candidate must complete New York State Case trainings required for CRS delivery.
- Must have a working knowledge of persons with disabilities and federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, professional staff.
Range: $45,000 - $51,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
|Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: January 19, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214