EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
TITLE: Peer Support Specialist-Buffalo Mental Health Court
DESCRIPTION: To provide peer support to individuals, with lived mental health experiences, in obtaining their goals related to Independent Living, Vocations, and improve Quality of Life.
- Work with individuals in developing Independent Living Plans, creating a Person-Centered Plan, and WRAP Plan.
- Assist individuals with mental illness complete a Quality of Life Self-Assessment.
- Support individuals in learning how to live in the community in a healthy manner.
- Provide advocacy when dealing with medical or mental health personnel, housing, independent living skills, benefits advisement, peer support, information and referral, and mobility training.
- Assess benefit forms for each individual served.
- Provide rapid employment techniques and skills needed to mental health recipients to assist in finding employment.
- Provide peer counseling to recipients of mental health services.
- Facilitate weekly peer support self-help meeting regarding a quality of life concerns.
- Provide mobility training and services.
- Assist in educating and developing an Advance Directive for those who wish to develop one.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s SPR database, as well as the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director of MHPC.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in vocational services, disabilities services, business, personnel management, mental health or social services counseling needed. Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field, and (one) 1 year work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness; or an Associate’s Degree in the above fields with two (2) years related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness; or a High School Diploma with four (4) years related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness. Within 3 months of being hired, must be certified as a NYS Certified Peer
Specialist/Provisional. Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, or the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties WNYIL operates. Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. Must have received New York Care Coordination Person-Centered Planning training. Applicant must also be a current or former
consumer of mental health services.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent free agency.
SALARY RANGE: 30,000 – 35,000
CLOSING DATE: July 2, 2019
SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14214