EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
TITLE: Education Navigator
DESCRIPTION: To provide advocacy and consultation services to students with disabilities and their families, and to ensure their rights while navigating the educational system.
- Assist students and their parents/guardians in receiving equal rights as it pertains to local, state and federal laws regulating education for students with disabilities.
- Assist students in building self-advocacy skills.
- Assist parents/guardians in advocating for their child.
- Provide technical assistance to improve engagement and support of students with disabilities.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills, counseling and training.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Provide linkage to other community services relating to education resources (assistive technology).
- Assist students and their families in finding support groups.
- Maintain records of contacts with families, community partners, etc.
- Complete reports as required.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s EHR, as well as the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of the Director of ILC.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, or an Associate’s Degree with one (1) year experience in advocating for people with disabilities. May also possess a High School Diploma or equivalency with four (4) years experience in advocating for people with disabilities. Must be able to independently travel throughout Erie County. Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a Scent Free organization.
SALARY RANGE: $30,000 - $35,000
CLOSING DATE: JULY 10, 2019
SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214