JOB TITLE: Rural Recovery Advocate
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Recovery Peer Services Coordinator
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Provide rapid response and Peer Support Services to individuals who self-refer, self-identify or are referred by local service providers, Emergency Departments or local specialty courts as a result of the problems that they are experiencing due to their substance use.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to the calls that come in to Addict 2 Addict - Erie 24/7 helpline.
- Meet with individuals who express interest in learning about recovery options, sharing of personal recovery stories and presenting information in harm-reduction manner.
- Provide Peer counseling to allow for individuals to make informed decisions regarding seeking help with substance use disorder.
- Be a liaison with hospitals, treatment facilities, family and community providers in linking individuals to proper supports in the community, that once discharged, provide the support to the individual in avoiding future substance abuse episodes.
- Participate in community forums representing the peer philosophy, as well as offer additional opportunities for referrals to the Addict 2 Addict Erie Program.
- Be a liaison and advocate with existing medical programs, community supports and recovery options.
- Provide peer support during times when traditional treatment services are unavailable, which includes after business hours, weekends and holidays.
- Provide the peer perspective to professional providers and families in an effort to understand the perspective of the individuals being served.
- Communicate and collaborate with professional providers regarding the activities being done with the individuals being served.
- Empower individuals being served to make fully informed decisions.
- Responsible, when on call, to respond to calls from the answering service in a timely manner.
- Accurately document consumer services required paperwork in ECR, within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Certified Recovery Peer Advocate (CRPA) certification is required and must be obtained within the first year of employment.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
High school diploma or equivalency
Associate Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
High school diploma or equivalent requires three (3) years of work experience providing peer services.
Associate degree requires two (2) years of work experience providing peer services.
Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) year of work experience providing peer services.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have reliable transportation via personal vehicle or public transportation in order to service individuals in need within Erie County.
- Criminal background check will be conducted.
- The applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $40,000 - $42,500
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: August 11, 2021
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214