JOB TITLE: Vocational Peer Support Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Assistant Director, MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Educate individuals with Behavioral Health disabilities in the community about the benefits of obtaining employment and using WNYIL Work Support Program.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage individuals with behavioral health disabilities in the community to encourage and educate them about the benefits of obtaining employment.
- Work with individuals with behavioral health disabilities seeking employment on assessing their goals, developing Independent Living Plans and creating Person-Centered Plans.
- Do presentations to facilities that serve individuals with behavioral health disabilities on the benefits of employment, personal experience in seeking employment, and on the services available at the Job Club, related to employment.
- Provide rapid employment techniques and skills needed to behavioral health recipients to assist them in finding employment.
- Provide ongoing peer counseling to recipients of behavioral health services to support them in keeping employment.
- Facilitate weekly peer support self-help meeting/group regarding employment issues.
- Develop relationships with employers in the community to increase employment opportunities for individuals with behavioral health disabilities.
- Assist in educating and developing an Advance Directive for those who wish to develop one.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s Electronic Consumer Records (ECR) within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
High School Diploma or equivalent
Associate Degree in a Human Service field
Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Service field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Must possess two (2) years’ work experience in providing vocational services to individuals with behavioral health disabilities.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
High school diploma, or equivalent, requires eight (8) years of work experience with all disabilities. Associate Degree requires six (6) years of work experience with all disabilities.
Bachelor’s Degree requires four (4) years of work experience with all disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess knowledge of persons with disabilities, as well as federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and automobile insurance in order to travel independently throughout Western NY and occasional in and out of state travel.
- Ability to work independently at all WNYIL locations and within the community.
- Understanding or ability to learn resources in the delivery systems for populations with disabilities and how to connect consumers to more intensive services.
- Must have intermediate level knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing, and networks.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, good organization and analytical skills.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
- A desire to advocate for the rights of others is essential.
- Erie County residents are encouraged to apply.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, professional staff.
Range: $30,000 - $33,500
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: Janaury 28, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214