JOB TITLE: Van Driver
DEPARTMENT: Independence Express
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Independence Express
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Transport persons with disabilities to and from various points in a wheelchair lift equipped van or regular vehicle.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Transport persons with disabilities to and from various points as assigned.
- Assist individuals, when necessary and according to Western New York Independent Living, Inc. (WNYIL) guidelines.
- Make sure all passengers are securely fastened with wheelchair lockdowns, when appropriate, and seat belts before engaging vehicle.
- Conduct general maintenance as outlined in the van procedures manual.
- Assist as a backup van driver where needed.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- High school diploma or equivalent or must be able to read and understand van schedules, maps and procedure manuals.
- Must have a current New York State driver’s license Class A, B, or C with passenger endorsement.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Must have a clean driving record with no moving violations or accidents within the past two (2) years.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must meet Article 19-A driver guidelines.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
Able to maneuver occupied wheelchair in tight spaces.
Able to kneel & crouch in order to secure wheelchair in transport van.
HOURS / SHIFTS: Generally work 10-12 / hours per day, some evenings and weekends required.
Overtime may be required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, hourly, non-exempt, Support staff.
Range: $15.50 - $16.00 / Hr.
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurance available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program.
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: July 1, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214