JOB TITLE: Rapid Transition Housing Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center (ILC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director of Independent Living Services (ILS)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Educate, assist, and provide outreach to individuals seeking housing to transition to affordable, safe and stable housing in the community.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify independent housing opportunities for individuals with unstable housing, who are either in an inpatient setting or in the community with unstable housing.
- Knowledge of state and local housing policies, practices, laws and issues impacting seniors and people with disabilities preferred.
- Assist eligible Rapid Transition Housing participants through steps necessary for enrollment.
- Collaborate with applicants and / or their Independent Living Specialist (ILS), Transition Specialist, Service Coordinator (SC), Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural support, or advocate ensuring a support services plan is in place for program enrollment.
- Assist eligible participants through all steps necessary for enrollment and admission, including acquiring eligibility documentation, filling out housing applications, obtaining household goods and / or support for moving expenses, completing unit inspections, etc.
- Conduct follow ups after housing is secured and consumers move in including, but not limited to, verifying occupancy of unit and continued eligibility, and assistance applying for utilities and utility assistance programs.
- Work to identify landlords, public and private housing in program areas.
- Maintain a list of available housing in the region including accessibility, location, proximity to services and rental costs.
- Track and report on all activities using the New York Association on Independent Living (NYAIL).
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in Western New York Independent Living, Inc.’s (WNYIL’s) electronic consumer record (ECR) within two (2) working days of the service.
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate degree in Human Services or related field
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field
- Professional, volunteer and / or life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Professional experience in housing, community organizing, Independent Living, long term care, and / or disability rights strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with homeless individuals who have had any of the following: mental health, substance use, developmental disabilities, veterans, previously incarcerated, is a plus.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Individuals with a disability are encouraged to apply.
- The Job Duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. The physical requirements for this position are those typically present in normal office environment conditions. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs of the program.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $40,000 - $42,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: December 13, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214