JOB TITLE: Peer Support Specialist: Renewal Center (Part time)
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Work within the Renewal Center, serving guests of the living space in overcoming immediate, emotional crisis, of which may alternatively result in emergency room visits.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To connect, engage and orient guests to the Renewal Center.
- Utilize motivational interviewing and intentional peer support in meeting the needs of the guests.
- Introduce coping techniques which de-escalate crisis through assisting in developing Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) and/or Whole Health Action Management (WHAM) plans of intervention.
- Assist the Qualified Health Professionals in obtaining a basic medical assessment.
- Work with guests in preventing future crisis through referrals to agencies the guests choose.
- Make appropriate referrals to the Director of MHPC for long-term crisis situations, such as housing, government benefits and employment.
- Perform light maintenance of the Renewal Center, to uphold an environment that meets the high standards of our guests.
- Accurately document consumers’ services and required paperwork in Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) database within two (2) working days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Within six (6) months of being hired, the candidate must be certified as a NYS Certified Peer Specialist-Provisional.
- Must have received NY Care Coordination person-centered planning training.
- Education and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in vocational services, disability services, business, personnel management, mental health or social service, counseling needed.
High school diploma or equivalency
Associate Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
High school diploma or equivalent requires four (4) years of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Associate degree requires two (2) years of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) year of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, and the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties Western New York Independent Living, Inc. (WNYIL, Inc.) operates.
- The applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 26 hours per week.
Fri. & Mon. 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m,. Sat. & Sun. 3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $18.00 - $20.00 / hour
BENEFITS: Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: October 6, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214