JOB TITLE: NY Connects Independent Living Outreach Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living Center (ILC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Independent Living Services (ILS)
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Will work with the NY Connects Team in participating county(s) to connect aging or disabled individuals and their families to established support programs, critical pathways providers to help facilitate access to needed home and community based supports and services and streamline access to public benefits and application assistance.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in identifying new resources to be included in the NY Connects Long Term Support Services (LTSS) Resource Directory.
- Implement and adhere to the Administration of Community Living (ACL) National Standard on Options Counseling.
- Participate in all necessary cross agency training and document all attendances with NY Connects Regional Coordinator.
- Work in collaboration with the Specialized NY Connects standards to assist aging, people with disabilities and their caregivers.
- Provide unbiased information and assistance and screen for NY Connects contacts, including walk-ins and off-site visits.
- Provide barrier-free access to services that accommodates people with special needs and access for individuals who speak languages other than English.
- Learn and utilize the screen to collect prescribed information to link individuals and caregivers to appropriate resources and services.
- Collaborate with critical pathways to support transitions and linkages to long term services and supports upon discharge.
- Complete applications and eligibility determination, as well as tracking the outcomes on a monthly basis or as required by New York Office of The Aging (NYSOFA).
- Attend NY Connects staff, Long Term Care Council (LTCC) and No Wrong Door (NWD) meetings.
- Deliver the public education campaign that has been developed and approved by the state.
- Responsible for reporting all consumer activity, certifications and trainings, outreach activities and meeting attendance.
- Accurately document consumer services in the Peer Place as well as WNYIL’s Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) within two (2) working days of the date of service.
- Utilize technology for reporting, referrals, tracking and accessing resources and coordinate three-way phone calls for a warm transfer.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Within four (4) weeks of completion of orientation, the candidate must complete training and participate in the state-mandated Information and Assistance Training.
- Upon completion of orientation, the candidate must complete training and participate in the state-mandated Person-Centered Assistance / Options Counseling training when offered by NYSOFA.
Associate Degree related to Human Services
Bachelor’s Degree related to Human Services
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Work experience related to Human Services is required.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
- Selected candidate should possess knowledge of persons with disabilities, as well as federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be able to independently travel throughout Erie County.
- Ability to work independently at WNYIL, NY Connects, and off-site visits to provide seamless coordination of services.
- Understanding or ability to learn resources in the delivery systems for aging and populations with disabilities and how to connect consumers to more intensive services.
- The ability to learn about Medicaid, Medicare, pooled trust and other financial resources that may be a barrier or need to obtain services.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, good organization and analytical skills.
- A desire to advocate for the rights of others is essential.
- Residents of Erie County are encouraged to apply.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $35,000 - $38,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: August 31, 2022
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214