JOB TITLE: Open Doors Transition Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living of Genesee County (ILGR)
LOCATION: Batavia, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Assistant Director, ILGR
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Assists individuals in re-entry from institutional settings to the community. Facilitate and coordinate, for individuals residing in institutions, a comprehensive plan to re-enter the community.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives referrals from the Open Doors Coordinator and ensures the community re-entry process is followed through for each consumer.
- Provides counseling and information for individuals and families who are considering, or are in the process of, re-entry into the community.
- Coordinates visits to institutions, provides potential participants with unbiased information regarding available home and community-based services, participates in discharge planning, and coordinates with other relevant social services agencies involved in the discharge and transition-care of the consumer.
- Develops and facilitates person-centered plans effective for the 90-day transition period, secures qualified housing, coordinates home and community-based services during the transition period, and subsequently ensures continuation of services after the 90-day transition period is completed.
- Collaborates with the consumer, social worker and other supports to determine barriers to community re-entry.
- Assists in addressing barriers related to medical conditions or counseling needs.
- Ensures all significant consumer data and service provision details are current and accurate, and that they are documented in a timely manner into Western New York Independent Living, Inc’s (WNYIL’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR), as well as the contracted providers’ databases.
- Assists in recruiting Peers to provide support to individuals who are in the process of community re-entry. Attends meetings related to the Peer Support program.
- Promotes the Good Neighbor program for additional community supports.
- Attends Agency in-service trainings and staff meetings as well as any other Agency related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree in related human services field
Bachelor’s Degree in related human services field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Working knowledge of issues faced by persons of all ages who are in need of long-term services, particularly with those related to nursing home transition.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
Associate degree requires three (3) years of work experience working with community-based, long-term care projects or working with the other comparable work experience in a private setting.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess a deep commitment to person-centered planning and consumer choice.
- Firm understanding of Medicaid eligibility and coverage, as well as 1915c Medicaid waivers.
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers, including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
- Residents of Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming county are encouraged to apply.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $35,000 - $39,000
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: January 20, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214