JOB TITLE: Engagement and Community Outreach Peer
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health PEER Connection (MHPC)
LOCATION: Buffalo, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Educate and provide outreach to Mental Health Community Stakeholders in Erie County on the benefits of using and referring people to the Renewal Center for hospital diversion. Support guests of the Renewal Center with obtaining services they request following their Renewal Center visits.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct outreach to individuals with mental illnesses in the community to encourage, educate and inform them about the Renewal Center and its services.
- Seek out community agencies and partners serving individuals with serious mental illnesses to encourage, educate and inform them about the benefits of collaborating with, and referring individuals to, the Renewal Center.
- Attend Erie County Mental Health and Crisis Services programs, stakeholder meetings and outreach events to promote Renewal Center’s hospital diversion services.
- Respond within 72-hours to recent guests of the Renewal Center; assisting them in obtaining needed supports to prevent future crisis situations.
- Document all consumer activity within two (2) working days of the provision of services within Western New York Independent Living Inc.’s (WNYIL’s) Electronic Consumer Record (ECR).
- Complete all necessary paperwork and documentation needed for outreach activity within monthly CEO report and other departmental reports.
- Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Must receive NYS Care Coordination Person-Centered Planning training within six (6) months of being hired.
- Must receive NYS Care Peer Certification within six (6) months of being hired.
- Professional and life-experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of, academic credentials.
High school diploma or equivalent
Associate degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation Counseling, Psychology or a related Human Services field
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation Counseling, Psychology or a related Human Services field.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
High school diploma or equivalent requires four (4) years working with, or volunteer experience with, serving individuals with serious mental illnesses.
Associate degree requires two (2) years working with, or volunteer experience with, serving individuals with serious mental illnesses.
Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) years working with, or volunteer experience with, serving individuals with serious mental illnesses.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office / Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 26 hours per week. Monday - Friday.
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $18.00 - $20.00 / hour
BENEFITS: Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
Closing Date: February 16, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214