On the occasion of its annual “Night for Independence Gala”, It is both the pleasure and the privilege of the Western New York Independent Living, Inc. Family of Agencies to honor a member of the disability community with our Independent Citizen Award. The individual would have shown support, assistance and inspiration to others while demonstrating the five core values of this award:
- Exemplifying independence in the community, such as: by beginning a special project; by spearheading an awareness effort; or by gaining the support of decision-makers, for the benefit of others with disabilities or the general community.
- Going above and beyond what would be expected to assist others, by offering personal experience or expertise, organizing individuals around an issue, enlisting partnerships, and/or revealing self-sacrificing work.
- Remaining active in the community over an extended period, even after an initial success with an activity or major project.
- Rejecting others’ criticism or doubt, that potentially could have deterred the individual from striving to reach and achieve personal goals.
- Showing the world the value of one person’s actions by encouraging others to have a contributing, encouraging, and positive attitude about making the community a better place for all.
If you are aware of an individual with a disability who, you feel, would meet all these criteria, please contact Marykate Waringa of the WNY Independent Living’s Office of Community Engagement at 716-836-0822, extension 146; or email her with the candidate’s name, a paragraph about his/her qualifications and contact information, as well as YOUR name and contact information, to email@example.com.
Thank you for your willingness to help acknowledge deserving members of our community!