JOB TITLE: Housing Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living of Genesee Region (ILGR)
LOCATION: Batavia, NY
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, ILGR
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
To assist individuals to apply for, and navigate, the programs and services offered through Independent Living, including but not limited to, coordinating housing evaluations and program options for persons experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with individuals to assess housing statuses and their involvement with applicable public benefits by informing individuals about various programs and provide benefits advisement.
- Determine eligibility for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (EARP) and complete the required documentation, entering all necessary data into the NYS portal and applicable data management system.
- Coordinate budget plans for housing consumers.
- Provide peer counseling to persons with disabilities, their family members and advocates for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives and values.
- Assist individuals with employment seeking goals.
- Intervene, at the request of the individual, in crisis situations with agencies and service programs.
- Conduct inspections of housing rental units to determine eligibility for Rapid Rehousing Consumers using Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidelines. Conduct home and building architectural barrier consultation, utilizing federal and state guidelines on disabilities.
- Act as a liaison with housing consumers and landlords, ensuring timely payments and mediating to prevent eviction when possible.
- Identify housing options and rental units throughout the Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming County areas.
- Provide other assistance necessary to help individual’s secure suitable living arrangements.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s ECR database within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Associate Degree in related Human Services field
Bachelor’s Degree in related Human Services field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required)
- Work experience in a Human Services related field is required.
- Selected candidate should possess knowledge of persons with disabilities, as well as federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have a form of reliable transportation in order to travel independently throughout the three (3) county service regions (Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming).
- A desire to advocate for the rights of others is essential.
- Selected candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, in addition to, good organizational and analytical skills.
- Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB: Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds.
HOURS / SHIFTS: 37.5 – 40 hours per week.
M – F 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Overtime rarely required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time (temporary, one year), salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Salary: $38,000/yr additional $4,000 as first year completion bonus.
BENEFITS: Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program
OTHER: WNY Independent Living values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
CLOSING DATE: August 19, 2021
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUIRED TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214