EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
TITLE: Independent Living Specialist – ILNC
DESCRIPTION: Coordinate independent living skills, evaluations and training for persons with disabilities. Must be able to assist in the personal adjustment of an individual's disability and maximize community participation as well as being responsible for taking the lead in accomplishing contract goals in the area of community change and representing ILNC in presenting its mission to community organizations, businesses and governmental agencies. This position will also provide community entities technical
assistance and information on how to eliminate physical and attitudinal barriers that will maximize opportunities and improving conditions for persons with disabilities that live and work in Niagara County.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for people with disabilities.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, Medicare, etc.
- Coordinate and/or perform independent living skills counseling and training.
- Provide counseling to persons with disabilities and family members for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives and values utilizing personal and/or professional background.
- Intervene, at the request of the consumer, in crisis situations between consumer and service programs.
- Coordinate and conduct home and building architectural barrier consultation utilizing federal and state guidelines on disabilities.
- Identify to consumer housing options to enable the consumer to compare a variety of living arrangements and provide other necessary assistance to aid individuals in securing suitable living arrangements.
- Bring forward the philosophy and views of the ILNC’s Council in coordinating efforts of the community on programs that benefit persons with disabilities.
- Represent ILNC on various committees that advocate on behalf of specific populations.
- Provide information to beneficiaries about his or her eligibility for various work incentives related to SSDI, SSI, Medicaid and Medicare benefits.
- Provide consumers with information on what will happen to SSDI, SSI, Medicaid and Medicare upon his or her return to work. This includes providing information on work incentives such as Trial Work Period (TWP), Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE), Medicaid Buy-In, 1619(b), and Plan for Achieving Self Support (PASS).
- Assist individuals in reporting wages to the Social Security Administration.
- Supervise ILNC direct service staff and implement Independent Living (IL) policies and procedures.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s SPR database, as well as the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of the Director of ILNC.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess an Associate’s Degree related to human services with work experience related to same, or a High School Diploma with four (4) years related experience. Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part, of academic credentials. Must also have a working
knowledge of persons with disabilities, federal and state laws pertaining to the rights of persons with disabilities. Preference is given to Niagara County residents.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a Scent Free organization.
CLOSING DATE: June 12, 2018
SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, Director of CHRO/CCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214