EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
TITLE: ILGR HCBS Peer Specialist — Fee for Service
DESCRIPTION: Provide peer support for individuals with Psychiatric (Mental Health) and other disabilities in the community. Assist individuals with disabilities in maximizing their community participation. This position is based in Batavia and requires travel to Orleans and Wyoming Counties.
- Provide Peer Counseling to individuals with disabilities, and their family members, for the purpose of identifying life goals, objectives and values utilizing personal and/or professional background.
- Inform individuals about various programs that are available to them and assist them in securing and/or maintaining benefits, such as vocational rehabilitation, social services, benefits, etc.
- Assist individuals in advocating for themselves within their services and communities.
- Provide companionship and modeling of recovery lifestyles, including participation in recovery activities.
- Assist individuals in selecting and utilizing the things that bring a sense of passion, purpose and meaning into their lives. Provide coaching as they identify barriers to engaging in these activities.
- Coordinate and conduct independent living evaluations for individuals with disabilities.
- Assist individuals in completion of a WRAP Plan and Quality of Life Self-Assessment.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL’s ECR within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the Supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of the Director of Independent Living of the Genesee Region.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess:
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field, and (one) 1 year work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness;
Associate’s Degree in the above fields with two (2) years' related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness;
High School Diploma or equivalency with four (4) years' related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
- Must have received New York Care Coordination Person-Centered Planning training. Must enroll and complete Peer Specialist Certification through Academy of Peer Services (APS) within the 6-month introductory period.
- Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. Applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services and willing to share personal, lived experience with mental health challenges.
- Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, or the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties WNYIL, Inc. operates. Residents of Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming Counties are encouraged to apply.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.
SALARY RANGE: Fee for Service — $25.00 per hour
CLOSING DATE: December 1, 2020
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUIRED TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214