External Job Posting
TITLE: Addict to Addict Family to Family Peer Support Specialist
DESCRIPTION: Provide Rapid Peer Support Services to individuals being treated in Hospital Emergency Rooms throughout Erie County, due to a substance use medical emergency.
- Provide Peer Contact, by responding within a 2, 12, or 24-hour time frame, to patients, presenting in Emergency Rooms, due to substance use, who are referred to the team by medical personnel.
- Meet individuals admitted to the emergency room, for substance use disorders, and inform them about recovery and sharing personal recovery story.
- Provide Peer counseling to patients in making informed decisions regarding seeking help with substance use disorder.
- Provide information and referral to individual and family supporters in navigating services available to prevent reoccurrence.
- Be a liaison with hospital, treatment, family and community providers in linking individuals to proper support in the community, once discharged, avoiding future substance abuse episode.
- Facilitate at least two Community Forums per month, throughout Erie County, in addressing the needs of dealing with substance use disorder.
- Provide immediate follow through, once discharged from the hospital, in making initial contact with positive community and/or medical supports.
- Be a liaison and advocate with existing medical and community supports.
- Provide peer support during times when traditional treatment services are unavailable, which includes after business hours, weekends and some holidays.
- Offer to develop a WRAP and Independent Living Assessment to those being served who are interested.
- Provide the peer perspective to professional providers and family in an effort to understand the perspective of the individual being served.
- Communicate and collaborate with professional providers the activities being done with the individuals being served.
- Empower individuals being served to make fully informed decisions.
- Responsible, when on call, to respond to calls from the answering service in a timely manner.
- Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in WNYIL's SPR database, as well as the Consumer Service Record (CSR), within two (2) business days of the date of service.
- Maintain a neat, clean and safe work environment.
- Perform any other duties as deemed legally and ethically necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISION: Works under the direct supervision of Mental Health Peer Connection’s Addict to Addict Team Leader.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: Must at all times perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have a Bachelor's Degree in a Human Services related major and one-year experience working in a Human Services setting or an Associate's degree with three years’ experience working in a Human Services setting or must have two years paid experience working as a peer in a Peer Run Agency. Must be computer literate and be capable of typing at least 35 words per minute. Life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. Must have a valid driver's license and vehicle. Former substance use individuals in substantial recovery are encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
(Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a Scent Free Organization.)
CLOSING DATE: October 9, 2018
SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc.
3108 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14214